This forum has a zero tolerance policy towards the posting of player or affiliate complaints. Please use our dedicated Player Complaint or Affiliate complaint if you have a complaint you would like reviewed. Users found posting complaints will have their complaints deleted and potentially their forum account suspended.

Affiliates that wish to link to their site need to ensure that they do not work with any of our Blacklisted Affiliate Programs then request approval by contacting admin.

Maple Vodka is a winner

A place for anything that doesn't fit in the above forums!
mister_blackjack

Maple Vodka is a winner

Post by mister_blackjack »

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1 ... ompetition

Amazing it could beat that many competitors.

thePOGG

Re: Maple Vodka is a winner

Post by thePOGG »

mister_blackjack was kind enough to bring over a bottle of this phenomenal vodka last time he visited. It is a truly fantastic beverage. I love my straight vodka and this was a real pleasure. Congratulations to them on a well deserved win.

The only reservation I have with this vodka is the sweetness. Obviously being maple syrup flavoured it's meant to be sweet, which it manages perfectly. So my reservation isn't strictly with this vodka specifically. However, I have seen other distilleries that have produced fantastic very sweet flavours while totally failing to capture less sweet flavours. Two examples of this:

Van Gogh Vodka - Their Melon vodka is one of the best spirits I've ever tasted. Really captured the flavour of Honeydew melon. I've tried about a dozen other flavours from this range and all of them are overly sweet for the flavour they represent and not particularly tasty.

Chase Vodka - Their Marmalade vodka is a masterpiece. I've tried all barring maybe one or two in their range and they all suffer from the same flaw: sweetness that overpowers the flavour and becomes clawing.

Like Maple syrup, both the Melon and Marmalade are very sweet flavours. My concern would be that Steinhart don't make the transition to less sweet flavours well. Only time will tell.....

Stein

Post by Stein »

I would be surprised if any of these get to beat good Russian vodka even though I have not tried any of the brands mentioned. :)

thePOGG

Post by thePOGG »

It all depends what you're looking for. Flavoured vodkas really are a totally different product to what I'd refer to as straight vodka. Both have their charms and while I'd say I've tried some good Russian straight vodkas, I don't think they've got the market cornered. That said, my favourite straight vodka would be:

1. Kauffman Luxury Vintage
2. Kauffman Soft
3. Kauffman Hard

Given that Kauffman is a Russian brand, that does say suggest that the Russian's lead the field on straight vodka.

Straight vodka is a spirit that is about subtlety and a refined pallet - it's an aquired taste and the flavour is light enough that if you haven't drunk a fair amount would be easy to miss.

Flavoured vodka is far less subtle, but getting a truly refined flavour that accurately reflects the flavour it's supposed to have is rare. My personal favourites would the Hangar One range, but the Steinhart Maple is a very good example.