This forum has a zero tolerance policy towards the posting of player or affiliate complaints. Please use our dedicated Player Complaint or Affiliate complaint if you have a complaint you would like reviewed. Users found posting complaints will have their complaints deleted and potentially their forum account suspended.

Affiliates that wish to link to their site need to ensure that they do not work with any of our Blacklisted Affiliate Programs then request approval by contacting admin.

Earning money at Pokerstars?

Discuss anything related to Poker
derialvishao

Earning money at Pokerstars?

Postby derialvishao » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:29 am

So I might end up not having a job next month and I was wondering if making about 300-400€ a month is a realistic goal (since that's about the minimum wage in my country). How much on average should I play? And any specific tables?
thePOGG

Postby thePOGG » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:03 am

Hi derialvishao,

That's not an easy question to answer. I'm no poker expert, so giving any sort of estimate on what the potential earning playing full time isn't something I can do. Even if I was a poker expert, I couldn't answer the question with the information at hand. Whether you can make money or not playing poker is entirely dependent on how skilled a player you are. If you're a beginner or do not already have a winning record over a larger number of hands, I would say it's very unlikely that you're suddenly going to become a winning player next month. If you can already confirm that you are a winning player over a large number of hands you're in a better position than me to say how much you could potentially earn

Alongside skill, you need to have the bankroll to sustain yourself through the bad beats. Even the most skilled player won't win every hand. In fact the idea is either to win a few more than you lose or to make more money off of the hands you do win.

It's certainly possible to play winning poker, but the market these days is very competitive with a lot of strong players competing to take a far smaller amount of money than was available prior to the US withdrawal from the online gambling market. I would strongly suggest finding an alternative income source if you're not already 100% confident that you are a winning player.

ThePOGG
Auditing Service

Deposit Guarantee

POGGWebmasters.com

"Those who do not gamble do so betting that terrible things will eventually happen to those who do"
Ian C. Esslemont

"If anyone needs me I'll be in the Angry Dome"
Professor Farnsworth
mister_blackjack

Postby mister_blackjack » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:26 am

If you want to make say 300-400€ per month then you'll want a large bankroll so you don't play outside of your bankroll. Bankroll management is where most people go wrong.

bankrollchart.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UK-21

Postby UK-21 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:52 pm

First thing . . . analyse your own historical results in detail - what is the average "return" on your play, and does this exceed the rake on the games you play?

I'm told that 2-3xBBs an hour is a fair AVERAGE return (after rake) that can be expected by a sound player, and that a bankroll of 100 Buy-ins (at 100xBB per buy-in) is required to cover the roller-coaster ride you'll get care of the variance fairy.

So doing the sums . . . .

If you are planning to play around 100 hours per month, playing on four no-limit cash tables simultaneously, with a target of making €400.00, you'll need to be playing the €0.25/€0.50 tables and need a fund of €5,000 to cover the downturns - (€0.50 x 100) x 100. Even with an amount like this it's probably you won't have a zero risk-of-ruin, although that of course depends on the level of variance that results from your playing style, as well as the general flux of the game. You also need to get into the habit of keeping meticulous records (if you don't already) and analysing the results of every session to see if you're keeping your discipline and playing consistently - pre-flop fold rates, contesting to the river rates, percentage of the time you call/raise the pot etc etc etc.

I've always found the cash tables at low levels a particularly hard nut to crack, and an analysis of the c70,000 hands I played showed that even folding three out of four hands pre-flop, and only contesting around 25% of those hands that did see the flop and were played to the river, my net winnings weren't enough to cover the rake. The numbers never really stacked up for me, and what with the variance that defied belief at times, I came to the conclusion that I just wasn't lucky enough to be a winning cash tables player.

If you do decide to go down this road, it'll be a very bumpy ride and the odds are you'll suffer more than the odd bout of travel-sickness. Personally, I'd look to do something else to earn an income.

Good luck.
mister_blackjack

Postby mister_blackjack » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:30 am

Just not that if you don't have much experience playing poker, it won't be easy to just jump into the game and expect to be earning right away. You need to manage your bankroll and do you have experience playing professionally where you can play without emotion? How are you going to analyze your game and results? You need experience before you can say how good you are. There is a lot to learn and anytime you change the game whether betting level or game type, the games are always different.

Return to “Poker”